Key Quality Initiatives
Partnership for Patients
Southwest Health System is a proud participant in the Partnership for Patients and the Hospital Engagement Network as sponsored by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. SHS has participated in these activities for the past two years with the following results:
- Greater than 20% reduction in readmissions
- Greater than 40% decrease in surgical site infections
- More than 6 months will no patient fall injury
- Maintained 0 central line bloodstream infections for greater than 6 months
- Maintained 0 catheter-associated urinary tract infections for greather than 6 months
- Maintained 0 venous thromboembolisms for greater than 6 months
- Maintained 0 pressure ulcers for greater than 6 months
- Maintained 0 early elective deliveries for greater than 6 months
- Maintained 0 ventilator-associated events for greater than 6 months
Partnership with the Studer Group
Studer Group is a nationally recognized company whose mission is to make healthcare a better place for employees to work, physicians to practice medicine and patients to receive care. They coach hospitals by providing a detailed framework and practical how-to's to create a culture of service, clinical, and operational excellence. The Studer Group provides best practices and evidenced based leadership practices gathered from their National Learning Lab of over 750 hospitals throughout the country.
Hospital-acquired infections account for approximately 80,000 deaths in the U.S. each year. According to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), 7-10% of all hospitalized patients experience a hospital acquired infection. While it may sound simple, basic hand washing is the single most effective method to reduce the spread of common infections, especially in a hospital setting. Unfortunately, AHRQ has found that most hospitals have a poor compliance rate with hand washing—often less than 50%. Southwest Health System has implemented an innovative program that has significantly improved the compliance with hand hygiene standards, most recently reporting a 91% compliance rate.