SANE: Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program & Services
We utilize national standards and protocols in forensic nursing. We hope to serve victims of sexual assault in a comprehensive, caring way and provide support before, during and after an encounter. We collaborate in a multidisciplinary team to care and advocate for victims of sexual assault.
- 64 hr Comprehensive Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner didactic material
- 17 hr SANE Clinical Skills Training based out of Colorado Springs at UCHealth
- At this time our RNs are not certified SANEs. The process of becoming SANE-A, SANE-P requires 300 contact hours and board certification
- Our team is qualified and capable of conducting forensic examinations and evidence collection for adult, adolescent and pediatric acute sexual assault cases.
- We have 3 SANEs with comprehensive nursing experience.
What qualifications do SANE nurses have?
- Dr. Erin Schmitt, DO, FACOG
- Heidi Larrick, RN; Coordinator
- Jennifer Gaddis, RN
- Elaine Powell, RN
- The Four Corners Child Advocacy Center in Cortez, Colorado: (970) 565-8155
- “Four Corners Child Advocacy Center provides a safe, child-friendly environment that eases the emotional trauma experienced by children during the investigation and prosecution of child abuse cases.”
- Renew, Inc.: (970) 565-4886.
- “At Renew Inc., our mission is to provide assistance to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and adult survivors of child sexual abuse. We offer crisis intervention, public education, and awareness to those in our community and beyond.”
- Victim/Witness 22nd Judicial District (970) 565-1147
- Law Enforcement
- Cortez Police Department (970)565-8441
- Montezuma Sheriff’s Office (970) 565-8452
- Montezuma County Jail (970) 565-8452
- Dolores County Sheriff’s Office (970) 677-2257
- Mancos Marshal’s Office (970) 533-1482
- Colorado State Patrol (970) 249-4392
Support Services for Sexual Assault Victims
- Colorado Anti-Violence Program www.coavp.org
- Colorado Coalition Against Domestic Violence (CCADV) www.ccadv.org
- Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CCASA) www.ccasa.org
- Colorado Organization for Victim Assistance (COVA) www.coloradocrimevictims.org
- National Center for Victims of Crime www.ncvc.org
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence www.ncadv.org
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network www.RAINN.org
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center www.nsvrc.org
- The Office for Victims of Crime www.ovc.gov
- Victim Services Network www.victimservicesnetwork.org
- National Children’s Alliance www.nationalchildrensalliance.org
- 1 in 6- Support for Male Survivors of Sexual Abuse or Assault www.1in6.org