Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) Rachel Garrison, MCD, CCC-SLP Joins SHS’s Rehab Team
Southwest Health System, Inc. (SHS) is proud to announce that Rachel Garrison, Speech Language Pathologist has recently joined our team providing specialized care to adults in the 4 Corners Community.
Rachel received her Bachelors of Science from the University of Central Arkansas and her Masters of Communication Disorders from Arkansas State University. Rachel most recently gained experience in Fairbanks and the North Pole in a school district with students aged 3-18, where she received her national Certification of Clinical Competence (CCC).
“When I decided to move south for less-frigid and dark winters, I still hoped to have beautiful mountain views and plenty of outdoor activities, so Cortez, Colorado became our new home. I am excited to begin my hospital experience at Southwest Health System.” – Rachel Garrison, MCD, CCC-SLP
As a speech-language pathologist, Rachel will help patients primarily with disorders in the following nine areas:
- Fluency (stuttering)
- Voice and resonance (including respiration and phonation)
- Receptive and expressive language
- Hearing (including the impact hearing loss has on speech and language)
- Swallowing (oral, pharyngeal, esophageal, and related functions)
- Cognitive aspects of communication (attention, memory, sequencing, problem-solving, executive functioning)
- Social aspects of communication (challenging behavior, ineffective social skills, lack of communication opportunities)
- Communication modalities (including oral, manual, augmentative and alternative communication techniques, and assistive technologies)
She will be assisting people who have/had strokes, head injuries, respiratory diseases, and Central Nervous System diseases (CNS). Communication, swallowing, cognition, and voice are aspects of everyday life. Improving these aspects of life can in turn help improve an individual’s quality of life.
To schedule an appointment or to find out more about Rachel’s services and practice, please call SHS’s Rehab department at 970-564-2460.