Summer Intern Education Program
The education department at SHS offers programs that encourage and expose students to the field of healthcare. These education programs allow students to gain valuable patient care experience alongside talented medical professionals.
Download an application for the Summer Intern Program!
Affiliations: Pueblo Community College/Southwest Colorado Community College • San Juan College • University of New Mexico • Regis University • Colorado Mesa University • University of Colorado • Montezuma-Cortez High School – High School Job Shadowing Program • Dolores High School – High School Job Shadowing Program • Mancos High School – High School Job Shadowing Program • Southern New Hampshire University
Discounted Tuition Partners:
- Southern New Hampshire University offers CCNE-accredited, RN-BSN and MSN programs that were developed by nurses, for nurses.
- Nurse Educator, Generalist, Patient Safety & Quality and Clinical Nurse Leader focuses.
- Further options in Healthcare Management, Informatics, Human Resources and more.
- Discounted tuition rates of $288 per undergraduate credit hour and $565 per graduate credit hour.
- Let’s go further, together! Learn more about your options with SNHU by visiting www.snhu.edu/HealthPartner today.
Types of students we see for clinical training: Medical • Nursing • Certified Nursing Assistant • Medical Assistant • Radiology • Physical Therapy • Pharmacy • Phlebotomy • Polysomnographic Technologist • Emergency Medical Technician, Basic • Emergency Medical Technician, Intermediate • Paramedic • Surgical Technician
Departments participating in clinical placement and student education: Intensive Care Unit • Medical/Surgical Nursing Unit • Family Birthing Center • Emergency Department • Operating Room • Pharmacy • Sleep Center • Radiology • Therapy • Medical Group, Walk-In Care • Medical Group, Elm Street • Medical Group, Mancos • Southwest Medical Group, Market • Southwest Medical Group, Elm • Southwest Medical Group, Orthopedics
We also partner with the following local agencies for Emergency Medical Technician education: Cortez Fire and Rescue • Dolores Fire and Rescue • Rico Fire and Rescue • Mancos Fire and Rescue • K9 Search and Rescue
Community Education: check our calendar for updated classes.
- Basic Life Support (CPR) – offered twice a month
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support – offered 6 times per year (every other month)
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support – offered 6 time per year (alternates months with ACLS)
- Prepared Child Birthing Class – offered once a month, each class is once a week for 3 weeks.
- Diabetic Support Group – offered monthly by the Diabetic Educator
- Outpatient nutrition and diabetes counseling
- Cooking Matters (nutrition and cooking classes at Montezuma-Cortez HS, Cortez MS, Southwest Open School)
- Cooking Matters at the Store (shopping tours at various grocery stores)
- Southwest Health System Wellness including cooking demos for employees
- Monthly Lunch and Learns on various nutrition topics at Southwest Memorial Hospital
- Eat Local Eat Healthy Montezuma
- Lunch and Learns for the City of Cortez
- Nutrition talks at the Cortez Recreation Center
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation individual and group nutrition classes
For information regarding any of these programs or classes, call Education Director Meghan Higman at 564-2160.